Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Tuesday Tales: Daily Food of a Consultant

Time flies when you are having fun...or just when you work a lot :)! Hello to week number six of daily consultant food. I was in a different hotel this week due to the Karneval season here in Cologne. Every hotel was booked out and I had the opportunity to experience some Karneval influenced food. It was supermarket day on Monday for my dinner. I bought some salad with a dressing and two rolls. Also included were some raw prawns and a wrap which I didn't eat in the end due to it being too much food (gotta watch what I eat now that almost every meal is out). I think my eyes were a little bigger than my stomach.
Tuesday was our team dinner in the Croatian restaurant I talked about in past posts. When you are in a tiny town you end up visiting the only decent restaurants over and over and over again. I had a prawn cocktail and a rump steak which did not fit into the picture. A very enjoyable dinner and even paid for by my boss (adding to the enjoyment ;).
Wednesday was sandwich day. In addition to my sandwich I also bought a so called Kreppel. This is a small cake with sugar icing and is very unhealthy. I think one could compare it to donuts :).
Thursday was another eating out from the supermarket day. I bought some Baklava which is a sweet pastry made of layers of filo pastry made of chopped nuts and honey or syrup. I think this would be a good try to make ourselves..
Friday was homecoming day this week. I decided, due to the crazy Karneval crowds to eat some unhealthy Currywurst with Pommes (fries) at the main train station in Cologne while listening to original Cologne Karneval music and watching the crazy dressed up and drunken crowds.
On Saturday I made a Swabian dish (famous in the area I come from). It is called Schupfnudeln with Sauerkraut and a very instant and fast made meal if one wants to go out shopping and running around. The Sauerkraut was exactly the right thing for the freezing weather here in Frankfurt. You can find this recipe in one of our old blog posts here.
On Sunday I made (notice how I had to do all the cooking this weekend!?!) some Pfannkuchen (really just the German word for crepes). But, instead filling it traditionally with Nutella, Bananas or cinnamon and sugar, we made a filling of ground beef, mushrooms, onions and tomato sauce. A salad on the side was just the right thing to go with it. Like the Schupfnudeln, this is a recipe we have blogged about in the past. You can find it by clicking here.

Unfortunately this week was not as interesting for food as some, but sometimes you just need a break from the fancy stuff and eat simple things from the supermarket or old familiar recipes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment